Working on campaign has shown the beauty of UNC

When Jasmin Jones first approached me some months ago about serving as her campaign manager I accepted. After all by the time we'd completed our platform I felt as though I could have recited it in its entirety purely from memory. I could have never imagined everything that was in store for us.

When we first started a core group of us met at least in some capacity about every day for several weeks. Our team was composed of ordinary students — a group of our friends and peers whom we trusted admired and respected. They were the heart and soul of the campaign and they are the reason we were able to find such enormous unexpected success.

Our campaign was not one without struggles. The biggest challenge we faced was without a doubt making up the 20 percent deficit in votes after the first general election. We were thrilled to have the opportunity to run against such a caring and qualified candidate as Thomas Edwards.

Still this task was daunting" and the only thing we could tell ourselves was ""Work. You better work."" It has" in a sense become the mantra of our campaign.

Our success was without a doubt full of significance for each one of us and in our own individual ways. For me this entire process has shown me the beauty and strength that lies in the students at this University.

The inspiring selflessness and enthusiasm we witnessed daily is what kept our spirits up and in the end all the work was truly worth it.

Monica Matta

Campaign Manager Jasmin Jones for Student Body President