Joshua Siddens began his 2008 campaign as a write-in candidate for Student Congress in plenty of time to carry his district's election.

He started the afternoon of election day.

""He decided at lunch"" said Siddens' friend and impromptu campaign manager, current Board of Elections Chairman Ryan Morgan. The two had noticed there were no official candidates in the race.

So we got 10 votes the rest of the day. Neither me nor him voted for him because we'd voted in the morning"" Morgan said.

Siddens won by one vote.

Student Congress distributes seats based on where students live and distinguishes between undergraduate and graduate students.

In districts with more open seats than declared candidates — or with so many candidates running that the vote might be split — it can be easy for a write-in to win on a whim.

Three districts — 16 seats total — have no candidates at all. Three more have fewer candidates than seats.

Though there's often no way to tell ahead of time, Tuesday's election might see numerous undeclared candidates vying for office along with those on the ballot.

Candidates who are unable to garner the signatures required to make it on the official ballot also might run as write-ins, although several such candidates this year said they instead will pursue other activities.

Former Student Congress candidate Leo Lopez, who did not get the 20 signatures needed to make it on the ballot, said he isn't interested in a write-in campaign. Like Siddens last year, Lopez lives in the middle campus district, but this year there is competition for the only seat.

I think it's a little late for that"" Lopez said.

Under the Student Code, write-in candidates are subject to the same rules as declared candidates, but are not required to announce their candidacy formally or to attend mandatory candidate meetings.

Their campaign budgets are capped at the same amount as declared candidates' — $20 for a Congress race. Both must submit campaign financial statements.

Write-in candidates who do campaign might do so casually. Siddens said solicited votes from whomever he encountered in a walk through his residence hall.

And some winning write-in candidates don't even know they're in the race. UNC basketball player Tyler Hansbrough has been a frequent write-in pick.

The Code requires a write-in candidate to be uniquely identified"" by a voter when voting"" with at least the candidate's first and last names.

But if you can't remember how to spell ""Hansbrough"" on Tuesday" don't worry — as long as the candidate can be identified the name doesn't have to be spelled right.