Cap and trade system is clearly a regressive tax

In response to the column, (A refute of anti-renewable pundits"" March 16), I oppose cap and trade as well as support the expansion of cleaner renewable energy sources.

Certainly, renewable energy sources will be cheaper in the long run as renewable sources are not scarce like coal and oil.

However, in the short run, a cap and trade system will inhibit economic growth.

Coal and oil are two of the most essential sources of energy — the energy that is required to fuel economic growth. A cap and trade system will essentially tax these so-called dirty industries"" which produce and manufacture goods that are consumed by both poor and rich alike.

A cap and trade system is a tax on these industries and anyone with any economic sense understands that any additional costs of production" including taxes are passed along to consumers.

As such cap and trade will be a regressive tax because it will place a disproportionate burden on the lower and middle class.

Anyone with enough knowledge of and faith in the free market to believe that renewable energy sources will be more efficient and cost effective in the long run ought to understand that the free market will funnel financial capital into the production of renewable energy sources on its own.

Jason Sutton
Sophomore
Political Science