Carolina Review did not race bash for readership

The Carolina Review wholeheartedly welcomes a stop to ad hominem arguments in the discussion of affirmative action.

That becomes difficult, however, when the Black Student Movement labels all arguments against their viewpoint ad hominem (Stop with these ad hominem attacks"" March 30).

The Carolina Review offered no such attacks, we simply had our work termed as such by the authors of Monday's guest column.

We did not, as we were accused, race bash"" or express ""racial distaste"" for the purposes of increasing readership" but presented a perspective different from that of the BSM but hopefully united by a shared belief in the inherent equality of the races. I actually appreciated the interesting and provocative arguments in favor of affirmative action presented in the first half of the column but it is an unfortunate irony that the authors chose to end the column with their own ad hominem attack on the Carolina Review.

Its worth noting that those with whom you disagree are not necessarily racist and excepting that you felt compelled to call us that it was an otherwise thoughtful contribution to the debate.

Bryan Weynand

Editor

Carolina Review