Disappointed with the UNC smoke free(ly) policy

I was one of many people who lauded the decision to make the University a smoke-free campus last year.

I'm aware that people gripe about their freedom to smoke; I should have the freedom to walk around campus and not suffer an increased risk of heart disease and cancers.

Because I am so grateful for the policy I have to express in equal measure my disappointment for the apparent lack of its enforcement.

No lone policy will end smoking on campus. But every day I see more people smoking in front of campus buildings. We have a smoke-free policy in name only if its effect is eroded by our acceptance of actions that violate it.

I have approached people I observed smoking and reminded them about the policy" only to be met with remarks such as ""Who are you anyway?"" and ""I'm 100 feet away"" where's your tape measure?""

I understand that most people probably just walk by when they witness smoking to avoid the accompanying disdain when asking someone to respect the policy" even though it is designed to protect the health of the UNC community.

To be sure we need real enforcement of this policy — otherwise it's just words on paper.

But we also have a responsibility as a community to build a culture that neither tolerates smoking nor disregards efforts aimed to stop it; the smoke-free policy is the start to creating a smoke-free UNC not the end.

Derrick Matthews

Doctoral Candidate

School of Public Health