A UNC program offers students an exploration of a place often thought of as a cold barren tundra.

The Summer Field Program in Siberia gives students the opportunity to study the ecological" biological and sociological aspects of the region for about eight weeks — even on horseback.

""One of the most enticing aspects of the trip was the constant flux in location and field work"" UNC alumna Lindsay Leonard said in an e-mail. She participated in the first program in 2006.

This year is the second time the trip has been offered to sophomores, juniors and seniors, making it the first opportunity for current students to study in Siberia.

Leonard said she learned about the ecological impact humans have on the environment and the history of the area.

The students not only observed the region's plant and animal life, but also scrutinized the sociology of the region.

Leonard observed a game in which men on horseback dragged a ram carcass to opposing sod piles to score.

They learn a lot"" said Greg Gangi, associate director for education at the Institute, who helped lead the trip in 2006. They learn about different areas of science from plant ecology to human ecology.""

Participants also spend eight days on horseback during their Siberian odyssey.

""A lot of us had never been on a horse before" Gangi said. I think I got to be pretty good friends with my horse. I noticed what it liked to eat and by the end of the week the horse put its head on my chest. It seemed like it was saying" ‘Thank you.'""

Beth Anne Purvis" who also participated in the trip in 2006" said in an e-mail that she was taken aback by the animal life.

""At times we would be camping" and a herd of horses would run through the meadows right next to our tents — something out of a movie" she said. That was the most exciting part — the wonder of what was to come.""

The program is offered through the UNC Institute for the Environment and costs approximately $6"400. While in Russia" students also take several environmental studies courses.

""I would tell anyone thinking about this trip" ‘Stop thinking.' Do it. Go and get your visa and be ready for the greatest adventure ever Purvis said.

From horseback riding through the beautiful Altai Mountains" to waking next to the calming tides of Lake Baikal — Siberia has it all.""