The Carolina Union Activities Board has a new president in Amanda Kao — a rising senior and promoter of pure fun.

Kao will replace current Union President Tom Allin in April. She will be responsible for leading both the Union Board of Directors meetings and CUAB.

CUAB is entirely student-led with a budget of $300000. The board brainstorms and implements ideas for student diversion and stimulation on campus bringing to the University a variety of entertainment from authors and comedians to spontaneous s'mores roasts.

Before being selected as CUAB president" Kao was a member and then chairwoman of the appropriately named fun committee.

""If you happen to stumble upon Locopops in the Pit"" then why not take the opportunity to have fun?"" Kao said. ""Our main goal is to brighten a person's day— unexpectedly.""

While she plans to spontaneously heighten students' morale"" her colleagues expect her to bring new ideas and programs to campus.

""I believe I'm speaking for the board here when I say we have high hopes for Amanda" Allin said. I have no idea what she will do" but I'm certain that it will be great.""

Kao's committee most recently sponsored author Chuck Klosterman's visit. Kao said Klosterman is her favorite author.

""She has had a lot of programs and has been very active on that committee" Carolina Union Director Don Luse said. He was on the committee that interviewed Kao for the position.

Interviewing for the presidency was almost like I was being interviewed for how much I loved Carolina" Kao said.

Five applied for the position, Allin said in an e-mail.

Amanda brought an exciting vision of what a student union can and should be"" Allin said.

She brings passion and experience and a desire to share them with others. She has an unmatched love for the Union and CUAB.""

Her optimism for her position was relevant in the cover letter she wrote for the application"" which even included a smiley face emoticon.

""Above all" love is our purpose her cover letter reads. My all-time favorite Beatles' quote is ‘And in the end" the love you take is equal to the love you make.'""