Good riddance to Russell: Not renewing contract with apparel licensee a step toward worker rights

UNC made the right decision to cut ties with Russell Athletic. It joins nearly 20 other schools that have already done so.

Russell Athletic makes sports apparel and is licensed to make among other things clothing with the UNC logo.

Last week Chancellor Holden Thorp announced plans not to renew Russell Athletic's contract which expires at the end of the month.

The University's licensing labor code advisory committee recommended not to renew the contract after Russell Athletic closed a Honduras manufacturing plant after employees tried to unionize in violation of UNC's labor licensing code.

The code adopted in 1999 is designed to ensure fair working conditions in factories where apparel bearing the UNC logo is made. The code specifically requires licensees like Russell Athletic to respect workers' rights to collectively bargain.

More than 2000 people lost their jobs as a result of Russell Athletic's actions.

Two labor organizations the Worker Rights Consortium and the Fair Labor Association serve as watchdogs for factories owned by transnational corporations. UNC is a dues-paying member of both. Members and reports from each help the UNC's licensing committee make recommendations for the University.

Russell Athletic's unacceptable move has motivated other schools to drop contracts with the company.

Whether the licensing committee's motivation comes from the recent bandwagon movement or a desire to stay true to the rights of factory workers is uncertain but ultimately not the bigger point.

The decision is a victory for workers' rights and other schools should follow suit. After all UNC was a big client for Russell Athletic. Hopefully this move will have a major impact on Russell Athletic and force the company to review its treatment of employees both domestic and abroad.