A study of the potential impact of UNC's research campus likely underestimated the cost to the local bus system.

The University released Tuesday a study which details the potential impact of Carolina North on the local governments.

The study does not take into account plans for money needed for Chapel Hill Transit because of an increase in transportation needs on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

With Chapel Hill already projected in the study to lose money from Carolina North" an increase in transit cost will likely add to the obstacles in front of its approval.

""The overall picture is the town can't afford a drain on its resources"" Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy said.

The study, done by Bethesda, Md., firm TischlerBise, does not include the added costs because a study on transportation impact will not be finalized until late March.

The study was originally scheduled to be completed late last year.

They're just not in the place to provide us with input"" said Julie Herlands, project manager for TischlerBise.

Because this and other studies are not finalized, the projections of costs to the town assumes current services from Chapel Hill Transit remain the same.

The possibilities for expansion on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard include buses every 10 minutes, larger shelters at stops and priority bus lanes at an estimated cost of $110 million to local and federal sources through 2035.

The actual changes will depend on community response, said David Bonk, long range and transportation coordinator for Chapel Hill.

The local fare-free transit system is paid for by Chapel Hill, Carrboro and UNC.

TischlerBise will answer questions about the study with the Chapel Hill Town Council. They presented the model for the study to the University so changes can be made after the release of the traffic impact study and transit plans.

University and Chapel Hill officials are attempting to finalize an agreement by June on what can go on the campus but are still debating many of the major issues.