Death row came to campus Tuesday afternoon when Glen Edward Chapman who was exonerated after 15 years in prison spoke at the School of Law about the overturn of his death sentence last April.

Chapman was sentenced to death in 1994 for the murders of Betty Jean Ramseur and Tenene Yvette Conley in Hickory.

But a judge ordered a new trial last year because of withheld evidence and an officer who lied in court. Catawba County District Attorney James Gaither Jr. then dismissed the charges.

Chapman was accompanied Tuesday by Pam Laughon a professor at UNC-Asheville who helped free him. Laughon spoke about the defense she and her students used to clear Chapman's name in 2007.

He recounted his release experience saying that officers who escorted him out made a joke about being on the phone with the governor" who said that Chapman's release was a mistake.

""Chapman" pack up. You're going home" Chapman said, quoting an escorting jailer. Well" I've been packed since I got here he replied.

Laughon gave a presentation of the facts of the case and showed what she called the overwhelming lack of evidence that the prosecution used to initially convict Chapman.

The lead attorney literally testified at our hearing — and if you're a law student you know this — and he did not know that he could actually interview the state's witnesses ahead of trial Laughon said. Now even in '92" you could interview the state's witnesses ahead of trial.""

She also showed that the evidence used in his 2007 retrial amounted to even less than that used for Chapman's original conviction.

""You know that officers initially write notes" and those get turned into a typed version" she said during her presentation. We lost count of how many times something very critical from the handwritten notes managed to be left out of the typed version.""

Chapman described his initial disbelief and reaction to being acclimated into society again.

Laughon said that he was given little to no psychological treatment to prepare for the transition" which usually comes standard to most inmates returning to normal lives.

Laughon let Chapman live with her immediately after his release" and also helped him to find a job. She bragged that Chapman has been employed since three weeks after his release and has not missed one day of work.

Laughon also said that finding a permanent residence for him was more of a challenge.

""If you have a felony record" as far as I can determine the only place you can live is Jupiter" she said.

Chapman ended his visit with a poem he wrote in honor of his attorneys and his supporters that he titled Until You.""

Chapman and his attorneys recently requested a pardon from Gov. Bev Perdue. Although Chapman has yet to receive it" Laughon said the governor's office said that producing the perpetrator of the murders could expedite the process.