Jones: Cabinet selection will be fair and inclusive

I just want to address the editorial (Beware the spoils system" Feb. 24) that cautioned for the Jones Administration to avoid participating in a spoils system.

I want to make my first steps toward transparency for my administration by informing the student body of the selection process for the new executive board.

Executive board positions are open to all students who are interested in being involved with student government. We are searching for a diverse group of students who will contribute to building a strong voice for the student body, being representative of all views.

I wrote a personal e-mail that will be sent over many listservs starting Monday, trying to encourage students to apply to be an executive officer. The selection committee consists of the Raynor Administration executive board, who will conduct all of the interviews. I will not be a part of any of them. I will receive three recommendations from the selection committee and I will conduct my own personal interviews to select the best students for the job.

My obligation as student body president is to pick the strongest team that will represent and serve the student body. I plan to make that my No. 1 priority when selecting these individuals. The Jasmin Consensus"" will have no bearing on the selection process.

The candidates that supported me are qualified like all other students to get the job done" and if they apply for the administration they deserve a fair opportunity like all other students.

I want to make it clear that the executive board is not set and will be open to everyone who applies. I want people to believe in my administration and trust in my efforts to give all students an equal opportunity to become involved in student government leadership whether it is for executive board cabinet or committees.

I strongly urge all students who are interested to apply by 12 a.m. Saturday. Applications are available at studentorgs.unc.edu/studgov.

Jasmin Jones

Student Body President-elect