With the economy in the dumps and ever-present talk of tuition increases more UNC students are asking the federal government for financial aid.

UNC has seen a 9 percent increase during the last year in FAFSA — Free Application for Federal Student Aid — forms said Phillip Asbury" deputy director of the UNC Office of Scholarships and Student Aid.

But he said he isn't worried about the office's ability to handle the extra applications.

""It's still pretty early in the process" but most of this is automated which helps us accommodate the workload" he said.

The priority deadline for turning in a FAFSA was Sunday. But Asbury said he doesn't want that to discourage students from turning in late applications for next year, because their applications are still processed and considered for aid.

March 1 was a very real deadline" he said. Students should certainly apply" but their options become more limited.""

The Office of Scholarships and Student Aid works with the federal government to decide which students should receive financial aid — and not all students qualify" Asbury said.

Some people may think they're in worse financial situations than they actually are and might apply for financial aid wrongly assuming that they need it to afford school" he said.

""People may feel like they need help" but oftentimes it may not be the case" he said.

Students will get aid where they are applicable.""

Shirley Ort" UNC's director of financial aid said she expects an increase of 5 percent or less in students who are eligible for aid.

Last year 60 percent of undergraduate students at UNC received some form of financial aid but only 33 percent got federal money.

Asbury said students' eligibility for federal money is determined by the FAFSA form.

The amount of financial aid the government will offer depends on the applicant's expected family contribution which is the amount their family should be able to pay based on their financial strength and the cost of attendance at their school.

Students whose family is deemed able to afford college tuition will not receive any aid.

Applicants also must meet a few background requirements to be eligible for federal aid.

According to the FAFSA Web site one must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen have a valid Social Security Number be registered with Selective Service have a high school diploma or GED and be enrolled or accepted as a student at a school that participates in the federal student aid programs.

They must not have a conviction for a drug offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid.