Solar panels atop Morrison Residence Hall were recently replaced after several weeks of being broken.

Maintenance workers were doing their regular examination of the facility about two months ago when they noticed a leak on the roof. This led them to notice that the solar panels were broken said Steve Lofgren assistant director of facilities.

The cause of the leak and broken panels is not known Lofgren said but a report is expected soon from the manufacturing company.

The broken panels were not a problem to the residence hall because the system only supplements regular heating and plumbing.

The solar panels atop Morrison use energy from the sun to produce about 40 percent of the hot water in the residence hall according to the UNC Sustainability Web site. The estimated savings for using solar panels in Morrison is $11"275.

""Though the solar panels help produce hot water" they were never intended to carry the whole building load so it never affected students" Lofgren said.

Students in the Sustainability Learning Community of Morrison were informed of the incident, but other residents said they did not know that the panels had experienced problems.

Sophomore Jordan Lavorato, a Morrison resident, said he hadn't even been told that the panels broke.

I don't even think they make much of a difference" because nothing has been different since they have been broken" he said.

Other students agreed, saying that the fact that the solar panels were broken did not alter their everyday lives.

I feel like the solar panels are a great way to try and save energy" but as far as them breaking it doesn't seem to be a big loss" said sophomore resident Michael Odom.

Morrison residents do not pay extra in housing fees to live in the green"" environment.

The solar panels were covered under the manufacturer's warranty and were replaced free of charge. No details are known as to whether the malfunction will cause an increase in the hall's utility bills.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide