Challenge to submit proof why group shouldn't exist

On our diverse and multicultural campus the number of conservative faculty members is so small that I have been asked to serve as faculty sponsor for four different conservative student organizations.

Without a faculty sponsor these organizations wouldn't exist on campus nor would they be allowed to bring in speakers to promote their views. For this reason I almost always agree to sign sponsorship forms whether or not I agree with everything the groups represent.

My own liberal arts education at a Western university emphasized a spirit of broad-mindedness in the face of opinions that differ from my own.

I was disturbed today to find that my office door had been decorated with a flier implying that one of the groups I sponsor Youth for Western Civilization" is ""white supremacist."" If this is true" then I am in a unique position.

If I withdraw my sponsorship I doubt another sponsor will be found. The group will likely disappear and none of you will ever be troubled by their views again.

However I would like to have more to work with than innuendo on a flier so I invite the students who posted the flier on my door or any others who find Youth for Western Civilization too hateful for our campus to present evidence in this forum that they ought to be suppressed evicted banished excommunicated or whatever word it is that broad-minded people use these days.

Think of this as an opportunity to work on your reasoning and composition skills.

Dr. Chris Clemens
Professor
Physics and Astronomy