Grandfather Mountain is now a state park of North Carolina.

Gov. Bev Perdue signed a law Tuesday that finalizes the purchase of the park and implements new protection rights to the area.

Crae Morton president of Grandfather Mountain said changes will primarily affect the structure and future of the park" not the visitors.

""Where visitors are concerned" there are very minimal changes — and that's the point" Morton said, The goal with the arrangements is to prevent any major expansion or development.""

The Morton family has owned the mountain since 1952.

Morton said he hopes to see this area benefit from the added resources the purchase will bring" such as new hiking trails grants and donations.

Visitors will also benefit because the trails will no longer have the $5 fee currently in place Morton said but will be free.

While the trails are changing" the current staff will remain as it is.

""That was an important part to the arrangement of the bill"" Morton said, We tried to keep things as similar as possible.""

Rep. Cullie Tarleton" D-Watagua" said the state bought the land for $12 million.

""The actual value of the land is around $22 million" Tarleton said.

Morton said it was an easy decision to make.

The decision to sell wasn't as difficult as you might think" Morton said. It's the best thing for the mountain.""

Both Morton and Tarleton said the ultimate mission of the park was to preserve the mountain.

The purchase was financed by the N.C. Natural Heritage Trust Fund and the N.C. Parks and Recreation Trust Fund.

Charles Peek" spokesman for the N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation" said the bill was introduced because both the Morton family and Peek's department were willing to consider the creation of the state park.

""We desired it"" and the Morton family desired to do the best for the mountain — protection from development and expansion in the future.""

Morton said the only place he expects to see expansion is in the numbers visiting the mountain and the ability to facilitate them.

""We anticipate an increase in visitation to the back country and also we hope to enhance the educational facilities.""

But he maintains that the most important part to the park is the natural beauty of the mountain itself.

""With Grandfather Mountain"" less is more. It's a state — a national — jewel.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.