Unemployment reached record highs in the state during the past few months as the recession continues to take its toll on North Carolina.

The economic climate has been frustrating for seniors who are trying to find jobs after they graduate said Tim Stiles" associate director of University Career Services.

""I think people get a better appreciation for how difficult it really is out there when they start looking"" he said. I'm having to work with some students weekly to pump them up.""

Unemployment hit 10.8 percent in March. A year ago" the unemployment rate was only 5.7 percent.

North Carolina's current rate is the fifth highest in the country.

Because of this Stiles said more graduating seniors are leaving North Carolina to find work elsewhere in the Southeast.

Stiles said there are some bright spots in the job market. The federal government for example is still hiring people. And computer science pharmacy and education are still healthy job industries" he said.

But investment banks and other parts of the financial sector are struggling to hire recent graduates.

""The big ones are definitely on hold"" Stiles said, and they're the ones who hire big critical masses of college students.""

Stiles and other counselors at University Career Services have encouraged students to look for alternatives and to get other work experience for one or two years before trying to land their ideal job.

Jeni Margules" a senior biology major is going to Colorado in September to work for AmeriCorps" a nationwide service organization.

""The point of the program is to experience poverty"" Margules said, adding that she'll be working in a family health clinic.

She said she thinks the senior class is split into three different groups. One group has jobs, the second group is going to graduate school and the third group is still looking.

It's been nerve-wracking for everyone" but I think everyone's settled in to what they want to do she said.

Stiles said he wants seniors to know that University Career Services is available for them free of charge up to six months after graduation.

We want to equip them with some skills and build momentum" he said. A full-time search can be frustrating.""

The reality of the job market's condition is setting in for many seniors"" Stiles said.

""It's nice to have someone to pump you up"" Stiles said. Our fulfillment comes from helping other people.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.