While pandemonium was breaking out at former U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo's speech at Bingham Hall on Tuesday" a group of students danced to music by M.I.A. and Michael Jackson as their form of protest.

A mix of about 40 students — some members of campus groups such as Young Democrats and Coalition for College Access — celebrated UNC's multiculturalism by dancing under tents next to the Pit for about 30 minutes.

""We decided to have a dance party because we knew a lot of people would be going to vocally express their anger at Tancredo's talk" and we wanted to have something else for the rest of us" said sophomore Patrick Toomey, a member of No Space for Hate, another organization involved in the dance protest.

We wanted to create an opportunity for people who are ‘confrontation averse' to celebrate multiculturalism at UNC.""

Tancredo" a notorious opponent of illegal immigration was invited to speak by Youth for Western Civilization" a group that ""promotes the survival of Western civilization and pride in Western culture"" as stated on its Web site.

Throughout this week, harsh accusations and strong language have been aimed at the group and at times singled out Riley Matheson, its president, calling him racist and a white supremacist.

Should any reasonable person think of a particular racial group when they think of Western civilization? No"" he said.

Tancredo planned to focus his speech on illegal immigrants and the possibility of their obtaining in-state tuition, but never got the chance to speak because violent protests drowned him out and eventually brought the event to an end.

Matheson said events like what happened in Bingham Hall have hurt UNC's ability to have a respectful discourse.

I've lost faith in this campus"" he said.

While the relaxed atmosphere near the Pit was a huge contrast to the tumultuous atmosphere of the speech, the dancers were no less resolute in their beliefs.

We have a problem with what Tancredo believes concerning his anti-immigration policy" which has other implications beyond just that" said graduate student Tyler Oakley, spokesman for Students for Democratic Society, a group involved in the dance protest.

His views are chauvinistic"" nationalist and downright racist.""

Staff writer Chelsea Bailey contributed reporting.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide