Look up ""G.D.I."" on UrbanDictionary.com and its meaning might come as a surprise.

The term" which serves as the title for UNC senior Michael Washington's new feature-length film refers to a person who's not affiliated with a particular fraternity or in Washington's words" someone who's ""…damn independent.""

While Washington himself is not in a fraternity"" the multitude of friends that joined after graduating their small private high school meant he got his fair share of exposure to the frat life.

""At Carolina" we're very Greek" he said.

And while the fraternities that populate UNC's campus provide a backdrop to his story, Washington's film extends far beyond the frivolities of weekend partying and pledging.

It's not a movie in any way" shape or form bashing fraternities" he said.

It's really about the time in everyone's life when you've got to stop being a slacker and become whatever you want to be.

""It's about standing on your own two feet"" dealing with life in a comedic way.""

Washington relied on UNC's filming resources"" using only Canon GL2 cameras rented from the Undergraduate Library and the Final Cut Pro editing software in the Media Resource Center.

Washington drew on his experiences as a theater major to film ""G.D.I."" and although UNC doesn't offer a film major, he said the film community at Carolina is growing.

I personally know about four filmmakers" he said.

I know three people who actually moved out to LA. At Carolina you start out just taking classes about writing" and from writing you actually get to making films.""

""G.D.I."" is now a feature-length film" but it began as a running joke amongst Washington and his friends in 2005.

When Washington sat down and wrote a script the joke became a reality and several years later" he and his cast await the premiere of ""G.D.I."" at the Carolina Film Festival on April 23.

In the future"" Washington's ideal outcome would be for ""G.D.I."" to land a distribution deal and continue to tour beyond the Carolina Film Festival.

He hopes its universal themes will extend its appeal beyond the college-age demographic.

""I would say the film is about making mistakes" trying to get yourself out of those crazy mistakes you make in college and ultimately growing up he said.

Kind of a coming-of-age story with beer pong" fraternities and Rock Band.""

Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu.