Anoop Desai's journey from a UNC a cappella singer to a national star on ""American Idol"" came to an end last night.

The former Clef Hanger and UNC graduate student placed in the bottom three for the fourth week in a row" but the double elimination round successfully ended his run on the eighth season of the popular FOX talent contest.

Senior Shilpa Hedge who faithfully watched Desai during the season" said she was upset by the elimination.

""I don't know what I'm going to do on Tuesday nights anymore because I used to vote straight through the evening"" she said.

While on the show, Desai acquired a large fan base around the country and at home at his alma mater, UNC. Desai graduated in 2008.

During his run on American Idol"" there were multiple watching parties held at Players on Franklin Street. A rally was held Tuesday in the Pit to support Desai.

His support was not limited to Chapel Hill. Supporting Web sites sprang up after Desai's first nation-wide American Idol appearance.

Fellow Clef Hangers were a part of the push for Desai at UNC.

Senior Steve McQuaid, the Clef Hangers' president, journeyed to Los Angeles multiple times to watch his friend's performances throughout the season.

Despite Desai's rise to fame, McQuaid said the UNC alumnus is still the same person — it's his skills as a performer that have changed.

He's grown even in the short time he's been on the show" McQuaid said.

He's more confident. He is an even better singer" which I wasn't even sure was possible.""

The experience was good for Desai's skills as a performer" sophomore Clef Hanger Hogan Medlin said.

And even though last night seemed like the end of UNC's favorite American Idol" Medlin said he is confident that Desai's career is going to be successful because of the publicity he has received.

""He's been seen by people and has a huge fan base"" Medlin said.

McQuaid also said by appearing intelligent and well-spoken on the show, Desai served as an important ambassador for the University.

I think that he's sort of taken what he considers to be the Carolina way and shown it to a larger audience"" he said.

Following Wednesday's show, the Clef Hangers declined to comment on the results.

The group decided to postpone any public comments until after their concert Saturday, members said.

But Desai and his fans are optimistic about his future prospects.

I'm really proud of Anoop's ‘American Idol' journey" and I can't wait to see how he does in the future" said senior Joanna Hill.

And after he received the bad news Wednesday, Desai said on the show that he was still looking forward to his consolation prize.

Now I've got to look at the bright side"" he said. I'm going back to Chapel Hill.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.