Baseball: Miscues doom Heels in series loss to State

baseball
Matt Harvey starting pitcher for UNC during the final game in their series against N.C. State gave up seven runs and lasted until the fifth inning.

RALEIGH — Kyle Wilson set the tone for N.C. State's Sunday finale against No. 1 North Carolina.

The center fielder opened the game with a solo home run and went 3-for-3 on the day as the Wolfpack (24-28 10-17 ACC) downed UNC 9-4.

Wilson's shot was the first of three leadoff home runs for the Wolfpack" who jumped on UNC starter Matt Harvey early and often.

""Wilson" we couldn't keep him off the base today coach Mike Fox said. He was obviously the key for them from an offensive standpoint. It put some pressure on us" and obviously Matt (Harvey) didn't get off to a good start.""

Harvey lasted four and two-thirds innings" giving up seven runs on seven hits. For the season" the loss puts him at 5-2.

Colin Bates pitched three innings of relief to finish the game and ended his streak of shutout pitching by giving up two runs in the eighth inning. Bates had not allowed a run to score since April 14. He currently ranks second in the ACC with a 2.45 ERA

It didn't help UNC's cause that the Tar Heels had three errors on the game and allowed three unearned runs — yet another chapter in a strange series.

""I wouldn't call it wacky"" Fox said. It would be just absolutely poor fundamentals.

""And something that we've worked on since the first day we got here.""

One of the few bright spots in the game was Kyle Seager. The junior third baseman reached base four times on three hits" including one home run.

All-America Dustin Ackley added two hits and three RBIs — along with a solo homer of his own. The two players combined to drive in all of UNC's runs and Ackley's homer gives him 16 for the season.

That's the most for any UNC player since 2004. And for the season he leads the ACC in hits with 79.

In Saturday's game UNC didn't have an RBI base hit but still won 5-2 on a series of bases-loaded walks.

Senior Adam Warren provided a solid five and a third innings of pitching.  Reliever Brian Moran secured the lead with a shutdown performance in relief — he threw three and two-thirds innings.

Shortstop Ryan Graepel drove in two runs in unique fashion.

In the third he drew a bases-loaded free pass and in the seventh he was hit by a pitch — again with the bases loaded.

The Tar Heels played the series without injured center fielder Mike Cavasinni who sat out with a concussion he received Thursday. Ackley started in his place Saturday and Sunday and Ryan Norton started in center field Friday.

Tarron Robinson started at first base Sunday before being replaced by Greg Holt and Matt Harrison started at first base Friday.

Sunday's win gave N.C. State the series win after the Wolfpack won Friday's game as well.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu