When an anonymous donor first selected Bain & Company to look at UNC's finances some UNC employees were skeptical.

The Massachusetts consulting agency had never worked with a university before.

But after the company released its interim report and met with the Employee Forum on May 6" many are feeling more at ease.

""They look at us a little bit differently than we look at ourselves"" said Dick Mann, vice chancellor for finance and administration. He noted that the company's outside perspective will be helpful when combined with the perspectives of those at UNC.

I think they're refining our views"" Mann said.

So far, Bain & Company has interviewed over 300 people on campus.

Employee Forum Chairman Tommy Griffin said he no longer has any doubts about UNC's need for Bain & Company's assistance after meeting with representatives Jeff Dennen and Mark Finlan.

Griffin said the firm pointed out the weaknesses in the University's  levels of management.

According to Bain & Company's interim report provided online, UNC's organizational structure runs 10 layers deep, with up to nine layers of management beneath the chancellor in some areas. This means that more than half of all managerial positions at UNC are only overseeing one to three employees.

Griffin said Bain & Company even had recommendations for a more economical e-mail system at UNC.

Brenda Denzler, vice chairwoman of the Employee Forum, said that the company's lack of experience with educational institutions was initially alarming to the Forum.

As it turns out, although Bain & Company has not worked with universities, it has assisted more than 100 nonprofit groups.

That brings them a little closer to having worked with organizations that are a little more similar to the University"" Denzler said.

Another worry was the company's reputation as a turnaround company, often finding solutions in letting go of employees. But its representatives did not suggest firing employees.

Instead, Bain & Company recommended more cost efficient ways of organizing classroom space.

But some of the things Bain & Company has proposed might not work in the short term.

These are the kinds of recommendations that will take 12"18 24 months to actually implement" Denzler said.

She suggested creating a campuswide task force composed of staff, employees, faculty members and others who have a stake in the outcomes to make short-term changes.

Denzler also proposed pulling people from the Kenan-Flagler Business School or the economics department to get involved.

Mann said Bain & Company is still working on finishing the final report. He expects it to be revealed both to the Board of Trustees and the public in July.

They've been responsive" Denzler said of Bain & Company. They haven't shied away. They haven't backed off. And they come to us and ask us for input" and we appreciate being listened to and considered in that way.""