When one takes into consideration Neckbeard Records' name philosophy and history it's pretty obvious that the label spawned by three UNC alumni and one N.C. State alumnus won't be representing the next big national sensation.

With a business plan that favors exposure over money earned and an ambition for being a first step for up-and-coming bands it seems unlikely they'll be responsible for any releases that will make a splash on the national scene.

But at the release party at Local 506 for the label's first record The Return of the Norfolk Regiment by Chapel Hill band Lemming Malloy it's also clear that the local music junkies behind Neckbeard have a lot to celebrate.

Bryan Reed a former DTH diversions editor an assistant editor for Charlotte's  Shuffle Magazine and one of four Neckbeard founders" said one of the differences between Neckbeard and other labels lies in its innovative economic model.

""I thought" if I were putting out a CD I'd just want to sell it and be done with it and have a sunk cost" he said.

And while it might seem that the area is saturated with small labels, Reed insists that Neckbeard's unique approach to the artist-label relationship could play an important role for local artists.

One small label can't put out all the great bands in this area"" he said. I'd like to think we're just a drop in the bucket that's contributing to something more than ourselves.""

But although the Lemming Malloy release marks a first success for Neckbeard" things haven't always gone so smoothly.

Chapel Hill band I Was Totally Destroying It part of the release party lineup and a former Neckbeard client" started having problems with the label which resulted in a publicized and contentious split.

John Booker of I Was Totally Destroying It said the schism was due to many mistakes that occurred during the course of the band's roughly three-week experience with Neckbeard.

""We pointed out the mistakes they made" they got their feelings hurt by us pointing out their mistakes and decided to drop us" he said.

Since the separation, I Was Totally Destroying It has signed on with Greyday Records, a label based out of Portland, Ore. The band had initially planned to release a limited run double EP alongside Lemming Malloy, but are now releasing it later on Greyday.

And while the course of Neckbeard's musical relationships haven't always been smooth, Jay Cartwright of Lemming Malloy says his band has had a positive experience.

It's been absolutely excellent" he said of Lemming Malloy's connection to Neckbeard.

They've brought a lot of ideas to the table" and that enthusiasm has been great.""

I Was Totally Destroying It's Booker is similarly optimistic despite past disputes between the label and the band.

""We might disagree with what happened" but we just want to share the stage with good people and to play in front of as many people as possible" he said.

And through successes and disputes, the label has kept a single goal.

I just want to see us signing talented bands who want to put music out" who want to do different music" said Allie Mullen, Neckbeard co-founder and former DTH photo editor.

Just signing more people that believe in our philosophy and want to put their music out there — that's all we want.""

Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu.