On Friday the roof of 150 Rosemary St. will play host to the first annual Boomtown Live an independent music showcase aimed at allowing artists to network and share ideas as well as promoting change for social and civil rights.

Alison Bryan a 19-year-old Chapel Hill native" worked with Jonathan Gedney to create an event that would bring about the change that they wished to see in their hometown community.

""After election time" we noticed a lot of people talking wanting change and not having a good way to channel that energy into something she said.

Both of us grew up in Chapel Hill" said Bryan. And that's where a lot of the people are who want to make a difference but don't know how to channel the energy.""

Civil rights is this year's ""B-Cause"" — the theme for each showcase. But the founders and artists alike also wished to restore Chapel Hill to its former claim to fame in music history.

""We used to be critically acclaimed by Rolling Stone"" said co-founder Gedney, referencing the town's former place on the magazine's list of the top 10 places to be for music in the country.

We want this to be a really influential event that'll spark the industry and change things around here. Locally I'd like to have a better connectivity with the music scene.""

Hip-hop artist Evan Draughon of the band Ease had similar feelings on the subject and hoped that because of Chapel Hill's small size"" artists would stick together to support the musical growth of the community.

""We're not a huge city like New York or L.A." where there's musicians crawling out of every street corner he said. If one of us is successful" it's a really big opportunity for all the other artists.

""I grew up different than most rappers"" he said, referencing his suburban upbringing.

Draughon has been in the hip-hop scene as a rapper for five years, but he takes a different perspective than most artists.

You're never going to feel bad when you're listening to my music. I think I bring a different level of intelligence to hip-hop.""

Draughon expanded on the collaborative nature of the showcase.

""It sounds really cliche" but united we stand and united we fall" he said. You should always be open to working with other artists.""

Attendees should expect to experience music nonstop from 9 p.m. to midnight" with artists The Crap Rock All Stars Pink Flag J3 Calico and Kaustic performing as well as DJ Don Wilson Is Dead spinning between sets.

The founders are hoping to raise more than $2000 from the event.

Amnesty International originally was to be included as one of three beneficiaries of the event. But because the showcase is new and lacks corporate sponsorship it will only be able to split the proceeds between two groups.

And since they felt that local charities deserved local support the two groups will be Lambda Legal and Equality NC.

Food will be sold by Alfredo's Pizza Villa and Chic-fil-A at the showcase. Tickets cost $7 at the door.

Contact the Arts Editor at arts.dth@gmail.com.