Adopt a pet: Lending a hand to animals helps the community

Having a pet cat or dog can make a dingy apartment feel like a home.

If you are thinking about getting a pet then you should look into adopting from Orange County's Animal Shelter. 

The shelter is suffering from overcrowding and more animals need loving homes than ever.

If you live off campus and are able to adopt a pet you should visit the shelter in Chapel Hill. You can also browse the available pets on the shelter's Web site.

You can adopt pets from the shelter for a fraction of the cost of buying from a breeder and all cats and dogs come vaccinated microchipped and spayed or neutered.

In addition to adopting animal lovers might also participate in the shelter's foster program.

By taking on a foster pet you will be relieving some of the shelter's overcrowding while also helping find the pet a good permanent home. Foster pets might have some issues that require a stable environment before they can be ready for adoption. 

The shelter will want to make sure that you're a capable provider and that the animal will be going to a safe and loving environment before letting you take the animal home.

But if you decide to adopt or foster a pet you will be saving an animal's life.

For a small fee a rescued cat or dog can provide years of happiness comic relief and comfort to your life.