Art displayed around town

artwalk
?Blue Jays with Birch Trees"? a ceramic glass mosaic by Erick Davis on display at the Cybrary will be featured in the July 2ndFriday ArtWalk.

Twenty-four venues throughout Chapel Hill and Carrboro will open their doors Friday night welcoming pedestrians to this month's 2ndFriday ArtWalk.

Since its inception nine years ago the event has featured anywhere from 12 to 27 venues in a given month attracting hundreds to the area.

In 2004 the 2ndFriday ArtWalk board registered the title as a trademark in hopes of attracting more national recognition.

Board member Garry Meldrum said the event acts to promote the community" the venues and the artists involved.

""The idea is to get people familiar with particular artists or a type of art"" Meldrum said.

The ArtWalk not only features artwork in galleries, but it also includes art displays in law firms and coffee shops.

Even Carrboro Town Hall has an exhibit. This month, photographer Dave Otto will present his work exploring the Carrboro greenway system.

Nonprofit organizations are able to promote a special event on the ArtWalk's Web site at no charge. These organizations, called special venues"" provide specific community-oriented connections.

This month's special venue is the Cybrary, located in the lower level of the Century Center.

The theme for the Cybrary's summer book club is Be Creative" so the venue will be displaying artwork created by patrons.

It's all about getting people to recognize art around them"  said ArtWalk board member Jackie Helvey, owner of UniqueOrn Enterprises.

The event also features demonstrations, such as when an artist brought her wheel just outside the gallery and threw pottery.

Meldrum said the demonstration sparked interest and inspired visitors to ask more meaningful questions than if they were just looking at the pots themselves.

A venue must pay $100 to be listed on the Web site for a year. And if artists want to show somewhere, they must contact the venue directly.

The Ackland Art Museum participates through their Art After Dark program, complete with a live musician and a cash bar.

This month, the Ackland will feature a talk from mixed-media artist Kaola Phoenix and a performance by synthesizer composer Andrew Robbins-Pollack.

University Mall has three galleries featured in 2ndFriday ArtWalk, each with its own wine tasting and hors dourves.

Each month, a strolling musician performs in the mall. This month will feature a guitarist.

It has turned that second Friday around in Carrboro" Helvey said.

It's nice that it not only happened" but it continues to happen and it has become sort of a destination.""

Contact the Arts Editor at arts.dth@gmail.com.