Not only do the historic walls of the Horace Williams House take its visitors on a trip into the past but so does its latest art exhibition" ""In With The New.""

Artist Jeana Klein" professor of studio art at Appalachian State University has used her love of artifacts keepsakes and heirlooms in tandem with the art and craft of quilting to communicate her interest in the past.

The exhibit which opened last Sunday revolves around the personal stories and broader histories of seemingly mundane objects" Klein said.

""I have a constant curiosity about those objects that are preserved and cherished" or those that are abandoned and lost Klein said in a statement.

Motifs found throughout her work include toy soldiers and Christmas lights that were a part of her childhood holiday tradition.

We used to put out my dad's toy soldiers under our Christmas tree instead of a nativity scene and it seemed perfectly normal growing up" Klein said.

While her focus was on the inanimate objects, which she said have meanings that change over time, Klein said her military motif was not intentional.

I don't think that's a blatant meaning" but it was probably a bit subconscious" she said, referencing the Iraq invasion coinciding with the production of her work.

I don't think I ever intended to make a political statement.""

The 18 pieces hanging in the house's parlor and Octagon Room range in size and style" including elements such as dyed fabric acrylic paintings screen printings and hand-embroidery. 

Carolyn Rugen chairwoman of the art committee for the Preservation Society of Chapel Hill" said Klein was selected out of roughly 45 applicants to be one of nine or 10 to have work displayed in the Horace Williams House in 2009.

""We attempt to select a variety of artists"" Rugen said. But each exhibition is vibrant and special in its own way.""

Phyllis Busel" who frequents the art openings at the Horace Williams House" was just as enthusiastic.

""I just think her quilts are beautiful — all the intricate work that gives you the feeling of three dimensions.""

""In With The New"" will be on display in the Horace Williams House until July 31.

Contact the Arts Editor at arts.dth@gmail.com.