Campus Y gets new director

Draws on experience in Peace Corps

When then-Campus Y co-president Richard Harrill graduated in 1991 with a degree in political science, he knew he would be back someday.

Now, almost 20 years later, Harrill has returned to UNC and the Y, succeeding Virginia Carson as the organization’s director. And he said he couldn’t be happier.

“I am very excited about it. I mean, this is a dream job for me. I feel like I have the best job at UNC,” Harrill said.

Harrill, who comes to UNC after 10 years promoting social justice in Hungary, said he’s happy about following Carson because of her rejuvenating influence on the Y, in terms of the actual building and the spirit of the students there.

“I’m inheriting an organization that is already strong,” he said.

The Campus Y is the largest student service organization on campus with 17 different service committees and 12 special projects.

The director mostly serves to act as a voice for the Y’s student leadership in discussions with administrators and potential donors.

Harrill said he plans to use his international experiences and connections to introduce students to opportunities abroad and to help them see global potential for their Campus Y work.

Campus Y co-president Erin Marubashi said she’s excited to work with Harrill.

“He understands what it means to be a student leader within the Y, so I think he will be able to strike a great balance between being a leader and mentor,” she said.

“He has his own style, approach and heart for this field, and I think that will really shine through the Y’s mission in action.”

And Melissa Exum, associate vice chancellor and dean of students, said Harrill’s experience with nonprofit organizations and human rights groups, combined with his enthusiasm for working with students, makes him a good fit for the job.

Harrill said he was inspired by his work in the Y to engage in public service abroad after obtaining a law degree from UNC in 1998.

“I went into the Peace Corps wanting to get some international contacts for my work here with the Campus Y, and now it’s kind of coming full circle,” Harrill said.

Marubashi said Harrill’s overseas focus could open students’ eyes to new possibilities abroad.

“For example, service work in Hungary is not the first option I would consider for post-graduate work, but learning about his experiences and service has really encouraged me to consider options I otherwise may have overlooked,” she said.

Harrill said a lot of people have asked him why he chose to return to the Y.

“Why not?” he said. “I’ve always thought, even when I was student president of the Y, gosh, if there’s ever a chance for me to come back and be director I’ll take it.”

Luckily for him, he got invited to Carson’s retirement party last spring. He said he wouldn’t have known the position was available otherwise.

But Harrill will have to adjust to being back on campus. He said the Campus Y and UNC have grown tremendously since he’s been away. The physical and economic changes are impressive, he said, but the soul remains essentially unchanged.

“There’s something about the campus and the culture of the campus that rubs off on you pretty quickly,” he said.

He said that special culture sets UNC apart from its peer institutes. And he wants to help it grow by planning new outreach programs to involve more students in the Y.

“We’re excited about pulling in students,” he said. “The Y is a place where everyone is welcome. It’s a very inclusive environment. Our doors really are always open.”