How to avoid the 'Freshman 15'

Healthy food choice, exercise can help

Sophomore English major Alex Loyal (left) and sophomore environmental science major Emily Chapin (right) row at the Student Recreation Center on Wednesday afternoon. “We run together often,” Chapin said, “but now that it’s so cold we’ve come inside.”

All-you-can-eat buffets, late-night food on Franklin Street and an excellent bus system make it easy to forget to stay healthy during your first year of college.

Adjusting to college life is stressful. Endless bowls of ramen noodles may accompany your first all-nighter as you write your first paper. Your first test grade could drive you to eat so many Pokey Sticks that you cry ranch tears. 

To put it simply: No one’s going to be here to make sure you eat your fruits and vegetables.

Many first-year students are plagued by fear of the “Freshman 15,” the extra pounds that your parents insist you’ll gain no matter what tricks you try to do to avoid it. 

Luckily, UNC has spots all over campus to help you stay in shape this semester. 

The Student Recreation Center, located across the street from the Student Union, has raquetball courts, a weight room, cardio equipment and more. 

Three full-size gymnasiums serve as home for the many intramural and club sports available on campus, from volleyball and soccer to inner-tube water basketball. 

The SRC even offers group exercise and fitness classes for all students, from spinning to kickboxing. The best part: No experience is required, just a desire to stay active.

If you live on South Campus, Rams Head Recreation Center is the place to be. Similar to the SRC, Rams Head offers exercise classes and has all the equipment you need to stay in shape. It even boasts a rock wall. 

When it’s warm, give jogging a try. UNC’s picturesque campus serves as a great backdrop to your daily run.

Not really a fitness-focused person? If you live on South Campus, simply walking to class every day might take care of your exercise needs. The 8 a.m. trudge to chemistry class is sure to get your heart pumping.

As far as food goes, a balanced diet might seem hard to find with the allure of Franklin Street restaurants.

But there are ways to avoid the many fast food options this college town has to offer. Get a fridge for your room and buy your own groceries. A weekly trip to the supermarket will probably be cheaper than eating out every day anyway.

Another tip for avoiding extra weight gain this semester: manage what you eat at the buffet-style dining halls.

“You don’t always have to eat all you can eat,” senior Courtney Webster said. 

While the food in the dining halls can be less than delectable, try to get some essential nutrients in your diet. Try grabbing an apple or banana instead of that fifth chocolate chip cookie. 

Don’ have a meal plan? Try to spot some places on the way to class where you can grab a quick snack that’s good for you. Head to the Pit Stop or Rams Head Market to get some fresh fruit or granola bars, or stop by Jamba Juice for a low-fat smoothie. 

No matter your fitness level, try to find some way to exercise that fits your schedule and interests. After all, you don’t have to be Tyler Hansbrough to play a game of pickup basketball on the weekends. 

But as you choose your way to stay in shape, make sure it’s for overall health, not just for temporary weight loss.

In the end, don’t let the thought of the Freshman 15 get you down. Try to be healthy, but more than anything, take advantage of every experience at UNC

“In the end, you’ll remember the late-night pizza with your friends a little more than your pant size,” senior Kathryn Clair said. 

Contact the University Editor at udesk@unc.edu