Officers in Courtland Smith shooting put on paid leave

SBI still investigating Smith’s death

Courtland Smith
Courtland Smith

Both the officer who shot UNC junior Courtland Benjamin Smith and another officer at the scene have been placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation, Archdale Police Department officials said Tuesday.

Smith, a biology major and president of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, was shot to death Sunday morning near Greensboro by Archdale officer Jeremy Paul Flinchum, 29, according to the State Bureau of Investigation.

The SBI is investigating the incident, which is common in cases of officer-related shootings.

Flinchum, one of 25 full-time officers in Archdale, has been with the department since April 2008 and has not been under investigation while with them.

A second officer at the scene, whose name has not been released, also has been placed on administrative leave. Police department officials said the second officer was not involved in the shooting.

Flinchum stopped Smith’s car early Sunday morning on Interstate 85 in Archdale, about 15 miles south of Greensboro. Flinchum was responding to a 911 call from Smith, who told dispatchers that he was suicidal and needed help.

A press release Sunday from Archdale police said the officer shot Smith after a confrontation. Officials have not said if he was armed.

Grieving on campus

The Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity members returned to Chapel Hill on Monday afternoon after spending the night out of town.

“We are heartsick at the loss of our brother Courtland Smith,” said the fraternity’s executive board in a statement. “Along with his family, we are grieving deeply over this tragedy. He was a good friend and leader at the DKE house. Alumni and house representatives of the fraternity will stay in touch with the University.”

Earlier Monday, Chancellor Holden Thorp expressed his sadness over Smith’s death in an e-mail to students and parents.

“There is nothing worse than losing a young person,” Thorp said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as they grieve and cope with such a great loss.”

Several campus Greek organizations put off rush events Monday night and will decide later this week about other plans to remember Smith. Some are doing small favors such as donating flowers or cooking dinner for his fraternity.

“Rush is the least of our worries,” said sophomore William White, a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. “We’re more worried about our friends next door and being there for them.”

Assistant University Editor Andrew Harrell contributed reporting to this story.