Review: Puppet show adapts creation tales

The Knight, played by creator Jan Burger, faces a lion, played by Brandon Thomas and Gilberto Sibrian. DTH/Andrew Dye

Paperhand Puppet Intervention brings its traditional style of expertly crafted puppets and tales to the Forest Theatre with its latest show, “The Living Sea of Memory.”

Divided into four chapters, the show includes two origin stories, a new spin on a knight’s quest and a collection of family memories.

The best part of the show is the ornate puppets, including a swirling sea goddess with segmented body who morphs into an angry dragon.

Larger than life gods dance across the stage while a giant earth goddess winds through their midst in the first act, flashing bright reds, oranges and yellows.

These puppets are not the kind from childhood camps, made from someone’s sock and googly eyes. Paperhand’s puppets include stilt-walkers, puppeteers wearing puppet masks and expertly done shadow puppets.

Co-creator and co-director Donovan Zimmerman said it took two months to create the puppets.

“It’s basically a giant puppetry pageant that is a synergistic explosion of different art forms,” he said.

The group adapts traditional tales for their show, creates the puppets and sets and also composes original music for the show.

The last section recounts a Mayan creation myth with shadow puppets as vivid as the brightly painted scenes from earlier in the show.

“It’s the idea of story and how story enters humanity and influences who we are and how we live,” Zimmerman said of the show. 

Because the performance is staged in an outdoor theater, puppeteers advise bringing bug spray and something to sit on.

Though rain is a concern, there is no rain site. The show is canceled, but many performance dates allow most to attend, Zimmerman said.

At the beginning of the Sunday’s show, members asked audiences to react aloud to the show, and the packed house gladly obliged.

One memorable scene included a large puppet followed by other small puppets entering the audience. Children from across the theater scrambled to touch the puppet.

The knight’s tale, in addition to a retelling of an epic type, memorializes Paperhand Puppet’s former drummer Kevin Brock, who died in 2008.

“The show in a lot of ways honors him,” puppeteer Karen Kelley said. “It’s a really sweet way of expressing our connection to him.”

Technically well-executed, the music and lighting add to the experience and meld into the story.

With a run time of about one hour, 40 minutes, the show is a little long for some of its younger viewers and could stand to shorten a few scenes.

But overall, the show tells four distinct stories while still keeping a cohesive creation theme throughout: both the creation of the world and self-creation.

Contact the Arts Editor

at artsdesk@unc.edu.