There will be fewer gray hairs in some University classes this year — and a little less life experience.

Citing the larger financial crisis  facing the state, the N.C. General Assembly cut a beloved but infrequently used University fee waiver for state residents older than 65.

Under the waiver program, elderly residents could enroll without charge for classes at any of the 17 schools in the UNC system.

“It was a very difficult budget year,” said N.C. Sen. Richard Stevens, R-Wake, co-chairman of the Senate’s committee on education. “We had to make cuts in every agency, but for the universities, the key aspect was to maintain the classroom experience for the undergraduate and graduate students.”

The elimination of the waiver will save taxpayers about $300,000 — not much compared to the state’s more than $18 billion budget. Stevens said this indicates the relatively small number of people who took advantage of the program.

The change in the waiver has already had an effect on enrollment for elderly residents at UNC-Chapel Hill. Of the 25 individuals who applied for the program this fall, only seven have opted to continue their courses and pay the usual tuition fee — about $150 per credit hour.

For the residents who used the  waiver, the sudden expense of taking classes will be dearly felt.

“I’ve taken a course every semester since spring 1992,” said Lawrence Slifkin, an 83-year-old alumnus and former UNC physics professor. “I guess I’ve had more courses than anyone at the University.”

For many elderly residents, the chance to attend a class is an opportunity to refine a skill, discover a new passion or simply to spend time with younger students.

“How eye-opening and wonderful to see young people — many of whom were quite talented in languages — in a classroom setting,” said Bobbie Lubker, past president of the UNC’s Retired Faculty Association. Lubker, 76,  took a German class to prepare for a trip.

The program was primarily a benefit for returning students like Lubker and Slifkin, but the presence of seasoned learners could often illuminate class discussions.

“Senior citizens in a history class on World War II, for example, can sometimes relate their own first-person experiences,” said Timothy Sanford, associate director for credit programs at the Friday Center. “Not having these additions could diminish the intellectual character of a class.”

Stevens said the waiver might return should economic conditions improve. Tuition at any of the state’s 58 community colleges remains free for senior citizens.

But elderly learners stressed their simple desire to learn.

“The main thing, I think, is to not take away from students or burden the instructor,” Slifkin said.