Monday, June 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Some library computers restricted

The Undergraduate Library has restricted access to Web sites unrelated to UNC and government documents on its stand-up computers.

The restraints, which the library implemented at the beginning of the fall semester, prohibit any visitor from accessing Facebook and e-mail accounts ending with “.com.”

Web sites for article searches, library catalogs, government-related databases and UNC sites are still accessible.

Pam Sessoms, the interim director of the Undergraduate Library, said the restraints are meant to prevent users from spending too much time surfing the Internet, imposing on the time of students and faculty members.

“Only the four stand-up computers on the first floor have restrictions,” said Sessoms. “Stand-ups are really for quick catalog lookups.”

Director of Public Services Lisa Norberg said the library implemented the restrictions in response to students and faculty members’ concerns.

She added that the restrictions are identical to those placed on the stand-up computers in Davis Library last year.

Other computers are still available for unlimited Internet use.

Most of the computers in the front of the library, excluding the stand-up terminals, offer unlimited Internet access to people registered with the library or those with a valid PID number, Sessoms said.

A visitor without an Onyen, PID or registered borrower status can access computers after receiving temporary guest access that permits one hour of use. Requests can be made for longer access periods.

Norberg said the library has heard no formal complaints about the change.

Sophomore Jane Fitch said she thinks the changes will reduce wait times for students.

“I think it’s a good idea because it allows quick access to Student Central and Blackboard, which could be important during the day,” she said.

Junior David Blumberg said he thinks the restrictions will make the libraries less crowded.

“I guess it’s an efficient way of making use of space in the library by limiting access,” he said.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide