Student government reaches out to town

Student government is hoping to reach out to the Chapel Hill community through a Homecoming parade, safe celebrations after games and student voices on a downtown decision-making board.

They’re some of the initiatives the Jasmin Jones administration hopes will improve communication among students and residents. Jones said she also plans to continue steps taken by J.J. Raynor’s administration.

“I know that from most of what I saw, Halloween was a huge accomplishment for her administration,” Jones said. “Most of the things we’re doing have come under her.”

One of the newest ideas is the addition of two student positions to the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership Board of Directors. The two seats, reserved for one undergraduate student and one graduate student, were created in late spring in hopes of adding a student perspective to the decision-making process.

“We need the student input to make sure what we have meets their needs as well,” said Linda Convissor, the director of local relations for the University. “They’re a large part of the community.” 

Convissor holds one of two seats on the Downtown Partnership board set aside for University officials. 

“Our downtown will never be successful if it’s just for students, but it needs to be for students, too,” she said.

Junior Hilary Workman, chairwoman of the town and external relations committee on student government, occupies a student seat on the board. Workman said she will offer a student perspective the board might not have.

“It makes the town run so much more smoothly,” she said. “When you can get all the opinions on the table, everyone’s a little happier.”

The board also plans on ramping up the long-standing Good Neighbor Initiative, which targets students living in neighborhoods alongside Chapel Hill residents. The board hopes to increase houses visited from 350 to 1,000 on Sept. 24, Convissor said.

“It’s an opportunity to get students and neighbors talking to each other,” said Andy Pennock, the graduate student member of the board.

A Homecoming parade would bring alumni back and revitalize the experience, Jones said. She’s also going to get students to listen to mayoral candidates and celebrate basketball wins more safely. 

“Jasmin is very committed, and it’s great,” said Meg McGurk, assistant director of the Downtown Partnership. “I think Jasmin is maybe taking it to the next level.”

Jones isn’t the first to express an interest in town-student relations.

During his tenure as student body president, James Allred responded to student demand and began an initiative to increase emergency call boxes and lighting off campus.

In 2007, Eve Carson’s administration continued the initiative and attended a town council meeting to speak about the need.

Lighting was later added in three near-campus locations.

Pennock said he hopes that students will take advantage of their new voices on the Downtown Partnership board.

“We’re a conduit to the mayor for the students,” he said. “We can work together because we all have a common interest.”

Contact the City Editor at citydesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide