Tanning beds named a leading carcinogen

Ultraviolet rays produced by tanning beds have been added to the list of top carcinogens, officially ranking the quick and popular method for developing a tan alongside smoking cigarettes as a cause of cancer.

Since a report linking tanning salons to skin cancer and other skin diseases was published in the July edition of The Lancet Oncology medical journal, several UNC students said they are worried about their health.

Those who once looked to popular salons like Planet Beach and Palm Beach Tan for bronzed skin may now feel safer getting darker from self-tanning lotion instead.

UNC sophomore Kate McGonigle said she knew even before the new list of top carcinogens that tanning beds were not for her.

While in the salon, she said she noticed that tanning businesses never stated the dangers of exposing skin to ultraviolet light.

“They were really just pushing their product by saying that using a tanning bed makes you feel better because you feel like you’ve been in the sun,” McGonigle said. “It seems like they’re trying to hide the risks.”

Efforts to contact local tanning salons were unsuccessful.

Beth Goldstein, a dermatologist at the Central Dermatology Center in Chapel Hill, said tanning salons can no longer claim safety or health benefits.

“The salons have claimed that using their beds only exposes you to UVA light, which doesn’t cause burning, and that the exposure provides you with vitamin D when you’re not getting enough,” Goldstein said. “However, now we know that UVA light gives you cancer as well and that there are plenty of other sources for vitamin D besides light exposure.”

After hearing the news of how dangerous tanning beds and sun exposure actually are, McGonigle said she made more of an effort to protect herself.

“I was working at a pool teaching swimming lessons, and every day I’d put on at least SPF 30 sunscreen and constantly re-apply because I was outside for so long,” McGonigle said.

Goldstein said she is hopeful that the new report will cause a social shift away from worshiping bronzed skin and make tanning beds obsolete.

“Slowly, I think the desire to be tan can be reversed as people learn to embrace the natural color of their skin and stop making it look like leather — or worse.”

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.