Update: Second officer present at Smith shooting

Both officers placed on administrative leave

Courtland Smith
Courtland Smith

A second officer was present when junior Courtland Smith was shot Sunday near Greensboro.

Archdale Police Capt. Shannon Craddock said two officers responded to Smith's 911 call for help early Sunday morning. 

Earlier today the State Bureau of Investigation identified the officer who shot Smith as Jeremy Paul Flinchum. Flinchum, who has been with the department since April 2008, has been placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation into the shooting.

Craddock said the second officer, who has not been identified, also has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Flinchum, 29, stopped Smith’s car on Interstate 85 in Archdale, about 15 miles south of Greensboro. Flinchum was responding to a 911 call from Smith, who told dispatchers that he was suicidal and needed help.

A press release Sunday from Archdale Police said the officer shot Smith after a confrontation.

The SBI is investigating the shooting, common in cases of officer-related deaths.

Earlier Monday, Chancellor Holden Thorp expressed his sadness over the death of Smith, a junior biology student from Texas, in an e-mail to students.

"There is nothing worse than losing a young person," Thorp said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as they grieve and cope with such a great loss."

Thorp pointed those who want to talk about the death to counselors who will be available in the Upendo Lounge of the Student Academic Services Building until 4 p.m. today.

UNC's Counseling and Wellness Services also have walk-in hours every day from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thorp also directed students towards the Office of the Dean of Students, at (919) 966-4042.

If you would like to share memories of Courtland Smith with the University community, please contact The Daily Tar Heel by e-mail at udesk@unc.edu or by phone at (919) 962-0372.