YWC adviser leaves amid controversy

Story reprinted from June 18 issue of The Daily Tar Heel.

The fate of UNC’s chapter of Youth for Western Civilization is up in the air.

Chris Clemens, the astronomy professor who serves as the group’s faculty adviser, said he’s decided not to continue in the role next year.

Once Clemens is officially gone, YWC will have 30 days to find a new faculty adviser before they are no longer an official campus organization.

“I’m not willing to sponsor an affiliate of the national YWC,” Clemens said.

“It’s going to be a time consuming task to guide these students in an organization that’s becoming inflammatory.”

Instead, Clemens has offered to either sponsor a new group with the same mission but no affiliation with YWC, or help find a new sponsor.

But the second option could be difficult.

“I do not know who I would start with,” Clemens said. “I only know one other conservative faculty member.”

He added that he is the adviser for about five conservative groups on campus.

Clemens stressed he is not passing judgment on the national organization itself but the reputation it has gained in the community.

“It’s a magnet for the radical left to come shut you down,” he said. “The name has become an obstacle to constructive dialogue.”

The reputation is in part the result of the YWC hosting two controversial speakers on campus in April. Seven people were arrested for protests of the events.

The group’s leaders aren’t concerned about the effects those events and the subsequent media coverage could have on membership.

Riley Matheson, former president and founder of UNC’s chapter, and YWC founder Kevin DeAnna said they have seen interest in the group rise because of the protests.

“Every time there is one of the usual left-wing hit pieces, mostly with stuff just made up, we get more members and donations,” DeAnna said.

Clemens predicted a negative effect on membership at UNC.

Matheson said his chapter of YWC had eight to 10 members. DeAnna said 10 is the average number of members for the seven or so chapters across the nation.

Four members are required to begin a new chapter, but DeAnna said the requirements for active chapters are being tightened.

Next year’s UNC chapter president Nikhil Patel said he expects about five members to return from last year. He said he thinks the controversy has adversely affected membership.

Patel added that he joined the group to expose himself to different viewpoints.

“None of us are racists and few of us wholeheartedly agree with the mission statement,” Patel said.

The arrested protestors and their supporters have called for the YWC group on campus to be dissolved.

Jon Curtis, associate director for student activities and student organizations, said it would be illegal to dissolve a group unless it violates University policy or loses its adviser.

He acknowledged problems finding faculty to represent conservative groups, but said it was not impossible.

A conservative public policy group, The Leadership Institute, funded YWC’s two campus events with up to $3,000 per speaker. They have funded two other YWC speeches at other schools.

The Leadership Institute’s president, Morton Blackwell, said a major requirement for funds was to be assured that they could put on a public program successfully.