Monday, June 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Advising program expands

The Carolina College Advising Corps, a program that recruits recent graduates from UNC to serve as college advisers to underprivileged high schools in North Carolina, is looking to expand its operations and reach more N.C. high school students.

Administrators said they decided to grow the program after seeing a noticeable increase in the number of students from these areas who decided to apply to college.

This year, eight graduates out of more than 75 applicants were recruited for this fall’s program, according to program director Jennifer Cox Bell. Bell said due to plans for expansion of the program, 13 new members would join the corps next fall.

“We are looking for enthusiasm and general passion for getting students to college,” said Connie Freeman, assistant director of the National College Advising Corps, headquartered at UNC.

“We are searching for students that really reflect the community they help, which is why many but not all our advisers are low-income, first-generation college students themselves,” Freeman said.

Bell said the high schools selected to participate in the program typically have low-income, first-generation students. Advisers help them apply for financial aid and college.

According to Bell, the application process includes a written application, interviews and a meet and greet between the students chosen and high school representatives.

The program is a full-time paid service position, and advisers chosen have to partake in a six-week training program next summer.

“I really love it,” said Rachel Brody, an adviser for the corps since August 2008.

“It can certainly be challenging and exhausting sometimes. It doesn’t feel like a job, and I like going to work every day.”

Bell said the program welcomes students from all majors, as long as they show enthusiasm for their work and are recent graduates or graduate students from UNC.

“The biggest challenge is getting students excited and telling them that even if they can’t afford it, there are scholarships and financial aid available,” said Donovan Livingston, a recently appointed adviser who graduated in May.

The Carolina Advising Corps, based in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, is one of 13 partnerships in the National College Advising Corps, which was founded by Nicole Hurd at the University of Virginia.

An information session will be held in October, and applications are due this fall to start work next June.

Students who wish to apply can contact jcoxbell@admissions.unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide