Bluegrass comes to Carolina Inn on Fridays

When Fridays on the Front Porch began at the Carolina Inn in 2003, the free event quickly garnered popularity among bluegrass enthusiasts and those looking for outdoor summer music.

This season looks to be no exception, as the crowd is bigger than ever, said Laurence Bézy, marketing manager for the Carolina Inn.

With the advent of the 2009 football season, organizers have decided to continue Tailgate Party on the Front Porch, an event they began last year.

The tailgate program also features live music just as Fridays on the Front Porch does. But it takes place on home game days and begins three hours prior to each football game.

Both events offer food and beverages for purchase from the bar.

“If you like Fridays on the Front Porch, you will definitely like it,” Bezy said of the tailgate series.

The performances this season will feature mostly recognizable local bands, such as Big Fat Gap and the Gravy Boys.

The organizers also are looking to introduce a few new groups.

“Most of the bands are local, but we have two new bands from the Asheville area,” Bézy said.

But for regulars of the event who have picked their favorites, don’t fear: they will return.

“The ones that come back every year are the local bands, and they will be back again for this season,” she said.

Local favorites the Gravy Boys will perform at Saturday’s tailgate.

The band has been a staple at the Carolina Inn for the past two years.

Steve Celestini, the lead vocalist, said the series is one of the group’s absolute favorite events to play.

“From the three-year-olds kickin’ up dirt and dancing to college kids and local folks with a few years on them — it’s a great atmosphere,” he said.

Celestini described the music of the Gravy Boys as “acoustic Americana.”

With bluegrass infusions, twangs of country and covers of musicians such as Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, the Gravy Boys cater to a variety of tastes.

“We take a lot of pride in our crowd rapport and engaging in what the fans call shenanigans,” he said.

Today’s show will feature event-regulars Big Fat Gap, who play strictly Carolina bluegrass.

Lead singer Miles Andrews said that in recent years the concerts have become packed events.

“It’s such a great venue with a large lawn where you can sit up close for the music or hang around the back for socializing and soak it in,” he said.

If you go:

Fridays on the Front Porch: 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., Fridays through Oct. 9.

Tailgate Party on the Front Porch: Saturdays of home football games, 3 hours before kickoff.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.