Chilton draws on experience

Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton said he wants to ensure that the town isn’t Chapel Hill’s “little brother.

He may be a well-established political figure now, but almost 20 years ago, Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton started his career as an experiment.

“Some students had run for office in the 1980s and had taken control of the city government of Davis, California,” said Chilton, who graduated from UNC in 1993. “We were inspired by that idea to have a student run for Chapel Hill Town Council, and I was the guinea pig.”

He said he found that many of the concerns on campus, such as the environment and transportation, were shared by members of the community.

Chilton said he didn’t focus on student issues in particular, and he won.

He has been fostering political relationships ever since.

Mark Kleinschmidt, a Chapel Hill Town Council member and Chapel Hill mayoral candidate, has known Chilton for 20 years, since they attended the University together. He said this relationship makes cross-town cooperation easier.

“When we talk, it cuts through any kind of posturing,” Kleinschmidt said. “We’re really fortunate to have that.”

Chilton said his strong working relationship with politicians in Chapel Hill gives both towns an edge when it comes to negotiations with the University.

“Carrboro’s relationship with Chapel Hill has changed for the better in many ways,” Chilton said. “It has sometimes strengthened our position with the University to have Chapel Hill and Carrboro go to the University together.”

Chilton served on the Chapel Hill Town Council for six years from 1991 to 1997, and then on the Carrboro Board of Aldermen from 2003 to 2005. In 2005, he left his seat on the board to run for Carrboro mayor, and won with about 63 percent of the vote.

He said his work with Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy has improved relations between the towns.

“Carrboro has long suffered a little brother complex in relation to Chapel Hill,” Chilton said. “I don’t think I suffer from that problem.”

Environmental issues are among Chilton’s top priorities.

As mayor, Chilton has spearheaded several environmental projects, such as extensions of sidewalks and bike lanes across town, which encouraged a decrease in automobile traffic.

In response to community fears regarding the environmental impact of a new greenway system, Chilton’s administration hired a specialized greenway company.

“There are going to be some interesting and challenging decisions about where exactly it will go,” Chilton said.

“That’s what the current planning process is for.”

Chilton said he was running for re-election to finish existing projects such as the greenway expansion.

Carrboro Board of Aldermen member Randee Haven-O’Donnell said she wants him to run for that very reason.

“There are initiatives in place and things being launched that he’s supportive of,” Haven-O’Donnell said.

“He’s got some plans that are yet undone, and I would certainly like to see him fulfill them.”