Congratulations, Carolina Latino Collaborative

Hard work pays of for group

The growing number of Latino students on campus have reason to celebrate with the launch of the Carolina Latino Collaborative. And the people involved deserve credit for years of hard work culminating with the opening of the center.

A center for Latino students has been in the works for roughly three years, and after tough questions and meetings with administration officials, the project has been realized.

The result is an official hub, located in Craige North, for unifying the many diverse Latino groups on campus.

Offices and workspace were made available as a result of a task force’s work.

The collaborative has a number of goals, including unifying Latino groups around campus, aiding the University’s Latino studies minor and connecting with other minority and advocacy groups.

With those ideas in mind, it’s clear that an office space was warranted, especially given the struggle over the last few years to bring it to life.

But student groups for minorities shouldn’t assume that facilities are now a given.

This group fought, made proposals, held meetings, fought some more and got the administration involved over the course of three years to get this far.

That’s an incredible sign of dedication and effort.

North Carolina has a booming Latino population, and this center marks a recognition of the increasing importance this group has.

That isn’t to say other groups haven’t done anything worth mentioning.

This one just had a specific goal in mind, got the ball rolling most effectively and stuck with it to fruition.

Having a center like this allows for better communication on important issues and we hope the Carolina Latino Collaborative is successful in its initiatives.