Journalism school celebrates 100 years

The Loreleis sing Wednesday to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

On Sept. 9, 1909, English professor Edward Kidder Graham kicked off a rich tradition of journalism at UNC with English 16, a news writing course taught in Playmakers Theater.

One hundred years later, students and faculty members gathered Wednesday in front of Carroll Hall to mark the anniversary.

In that century, the School of Journalism and Mass Communication has undergone significant changes, attempting to broaden the skill sets of its graduates and adapt to new media technology.

The school’s story is one of innovation, adapting to the emergence of radio, television and public relations as prominent communication fields.

Today the curriculum seeks to reflect the emerging influence of multimedia and divides the school into two categories: journalism and advertising/public relations. The school encourages graduates to become familiar with modern media and technology.

Dulcie Straughan, senior associate dean of the school, said the curriculum aims to prepare its graduates for the current job market.

“What the dean really hopes is that this is a curriculum that emphasizes core principles but helps the student become more flexible with what they can do after graduation,” Straughan said.

The changes came after consulting with news media across the state about what journalism students should be learning to become successful, Straughan said.

The school also offers opportunities outside the classroom for students to hone their technology skills.

Kyle York, assistant to the dean for communications, said students can get involved in online multimedia projects dealing with such topics as energy use and the Galapagos Islands.

York said these special projects investigate how to tell stories in alternative formats.

“The idea is to tell the story in whichever media tells it best,” York said.

The school has also upgraded its equipment to high-definition technology to get students familiar with the technologies they will use after graduation.

After 100 years of change and innovation, the school’s faculty said they are looking forward to where the industry is headed and how to best prepare their students.