Lecture focuses on schools’ role

Professor advises community service

James Joseph served as ambassador to South Africa from 1996-99.

As a former U.S. ambassador to South Africa, James Joseph would frequently travel great distances to share his expertise.

On Thursday, Joseph, who currently teaches public policy at Duke University, enjoyed a shorter commute to Gerrard Hall, where he delivered the third annual Thomas Willis Lambeth Lectureship.

Joseph’s speech, titled “Remaking America: Higher Education and Civic Engagement,” called upon universities to take responsibility for the “economically and socially marginalized” through community service.

After being introduced as the “voice of God” at Duke University by former Lambeth Lectureship speaker and Duke professor Joel Fleishman, Joseph, an ordained minister, began his speech with a question.

“What role should universities play in the remaking of America?” he asked.

He promptly answered, saying universities should do everything in their power in pursuit of the global “common good.”

“It has been my experience that when neighbors help neighbors, and even when strangers help strangers, both those who help and those who are helped are not only transformed, but experience a new sense of connectedness,” Joseph said.

Joseph provided powerful examples of members of society joining together for different causes and goals across the globe.

He cited the efforts of blacks in the South to organize for equal rights in the late 19th century.

Chip Gaul, a junior public policy and communication studies double major, said he was impressed by the lecture.

“It’s nice to have someone articulate very clearly why we need to be engaged in our community,” he said.

Hodding Carter, last year’s guest speaker and a member of the lectureship selection committee, said the selection of Joseph was made with confidence.

“If you’ve been in any kind of public life over the last 30 years, you know him,” said Carter, a UNC professor of public policy.

Joseph said he doesn’t usually speak at schools about the civic responsibility of university administrators and students, but said this lecture was a special occasion.

“It’s very important that universities bring to campus people who are practitioners of what they are teaching,” he said.

Joseph launched the United States — Southern Africa Center for Leadership and Public Values at Duke University. The center works to empower leaders in South Africa.

“The gift of hope is as big as the gift of life itself,” he said.