M. Soccer: Second-half scoring spree lifts UNC to victory

North Carolina unleashed four goals in the second half to defeat UNC-Asheville in the Tar Heels’ season opener Tuesday night.

Shots like the one Kirk Urso had in the first half of North Carolina’s contest against UNC-Asheville didn’t come along too often.

During those 45 minutes, it seemed like the Tar Heels passed up opportunity after opportunity for the extra pass. But during the next frame that quickly changed as UNC (1-0) routed the Bulldogs, 5-0.

After firing 10 shots in the first half and scoring only one goal, No. 1 UNC exploded in the second with 12 shots and four goals. It was a stark contrast, especially after a fair bit of hesitancy as the game got underway. That is, until 21 minutes had passed into Tuesday’s contest.

At that point, junior Cameron Brown headed toward the box with several defenders in his path. But as he did so, he lost control of the ball, and a Bulldog defender deflected the ball out to his teammate, Urso.

Immediately, the sophomore midfielder settled the ball, seemingly composed himself, and then fired a beautiful rocket into the right corner of the UNC-A goal. The Bulldogs’ goalkeeper, Lassi Hurskainen, was fully outstretched in mid-air, but Urso’s shot was just that perfect.

And Urso knew it. Right after his blast touched down 20 yards away, he turned and raised his arms as his teammates embraced him.

“I’m just dying to take the shots outside the box,” Urso said. “I saw the defender, he was about to step, and luckily I got it off. I knew I hit well, and fortunately it went in.”

For the rest of the first half, however, such success didn’t continue for UNC. Although the Tar Heels rattled off a couple more chances — including another lengthy Urso shot, this time with his left foot —no more goals ensued.

Instead, it was UNC-Asheville (0-1) creating opportunities. With less than two minutes remaining, the Bulldogs took a free kick from the right side that touched down on Branden Lassen’s head. It was a glancing look, but the deflection from his forehead went just by UNC’s post.

“First half, little disappointing, but we knew we could do better in the attacking third,” Urso said. “Second half, we came out with a little more focus. Our touches were a little sharper and our play wore on them.”

With a new half underway, the Tar Heels attacked UNC-Asheville with renewed vigor. Although UNC had mainly dominated possession during the first, this period was certainly different. At points it seemed as if North Carolina was moving the ball from player to player at will.

On one such occasion only two minutes in, a great buildup involving around six Tar Heel players amounted to a fairly close shot from senior Stephen McCarthy. But the midfielder couldn’t quite finish.

But 13 minutes later, when sophomore Billy Schuler sent in a cross from the right side, the floodgates essentially opened for the UNC scoring. Initially, forward Alex Dixon was the recipient, as he glided into the air and finished the opportunity. Yet for the next 25 minutes, Dixon wasn’t the only one getting into the act.

Freshman Enzo Martinez got his first regular-season goal after a prolific high school career. Urso added another, and Dustin McCarty finished off the day with a late close-range shot. It was a barrage from all levels, and one coach Elmar Bolowich will certainly be pleased with.

“(Alex) had a beautiful goal,” he said. “You have to give Schuler a lot of credit because that cross was just perfect. The header was perfect. There were a lot of things that were going well tonight.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.