New cancer hospital available to all citizens

Touring the N.C. Cancer Hospital
Touring the N.C. Cancer Hospital

The UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center will celebrate its new hospital today — a symbol of its goal of unified accessible care to North Carolina residents.

In a ceremony featuring patients, doctors and Gov. Bev Perdue, the hospital will be dedicated to all citizens of the state, who will be able to rely on it for cancer care regardless of financial means.

The hospital is one of only 40 institutions in the country designated by the National Cancer Institute as a comprehensive cancer center. It is the only public center of this type in the state.

Patients at comprehensive cancer centers can receive all stages of treatment in the same facility from collaborating doctors and staff, providing a more streamlined care experience.

“Even though it is located in Chapel Hill, we are going to make every effort to help people throughout the 100 counties and connect this hospital to North Carolina,” said Karen McCall, vice president of public affairs and marketing for the UNC Health Care System.

“We wanted it to be a dedication for the people of North Carolina.”

While the hospital hasn’t been inactive during construction, today’s ceremony will mark the facility’s return to full operation after four years of construction.

The new 315,000-square-foot facility was funded by a $180 million fund from the N.C. General Assembly.

It has three times as much space allotted for patient care as compared to the old building and has added 51 beds to the existing 700.

“This improves access for inpatient services for everyone,” McCall said. “Patients won’t have to wait so long to get a bed.”

N.C. Cancer Hospital physician-in-chief Richard Goldberg said the new facility has been built specifically to cater to patient needs.

“Now we have a building that was designed exactly for the purpose we were using it for, designed with input from patients,” Goldberg said.

Former and current patients of the hospital had significant input in the design of the new facility. Construction began in 2005 and was completed this year.

Lea Wharton, 42, a Raleigh resident and former patient at the Lineberger center, said she was impressed by the features of the upgraded hospital.

“The new facility finally matches the level of care,” she said. “They are the most amazing surgeons and doctors I have ever met and are clearly all about the whole patient and the whole experience and not just the cancer.”

Goldberg said he also thinks the new upgrades correspond to the level of care provided.

“Now we’re in a situation where the quality of the building matches the quality of the people who work in the building.”