New intramural sports unveiled

Campus Rec adjusting to pool closure

Newly hired referees are trained by Campus Recreation staff on Thursday evening at Fetzer Field.

Campus Recreation is making some changes this semester to help keep students physically active.

While Bowman Gray Indoor Pool is closed for renovations, the new South Campus Recreation Complex — completed this summer — will offer students more opportunities for physical activity.

The complex will provide Campus Recreation with new options for intramural sports to help make up for those that are temporarily unavailable because of pool renovations.

The changes in the intramural schedule aren’t a product of the campuswide budget crunch, said Marty Pomerantz, director of Campus Recreation.

“Operationally, we’ve been OK. We run a pretty tight ship,” Pomerantz said. “We’ve done well because we’re so well supported by our students.”

South Campus complex

Located near the Smith Center, the South Campus Recreation Complex has three tennis courts, three sand volleyball courts and two basketball courts that double as street hockey rinks.

It will also include UNC’s first three courts for paddle tennis — a version of tennis played on a smaller court with a solid racquet.

The facility’s grand opening ceremony is slated for Oct. 17 and will feature programs in sand volleyball, tennis, basketball and street hockey, Pomerantz said.

He said the highlight of the event will be an exhibition game played by four professional paddle tennis players. They will also conduct a clinic for students who want to learn more about the sport or hone their skills.

Intramural sport shuffle

Student Recreation will not be able to provide three intramural sports while Bowman Gray is under construction. Inner tube water polo, inner tube water basketball and swimming will not be available this fall, said Justin Ford, director of intramural sports.

“We’re operating under the assumption that the pool is going to be offline this entire school year,” Pomerantz said. He said the best-case scenario is that Bowman Gray Indoor Pool will be open by spring break.

Pomerantz said while water-based intramurals will not be held this fall, some club sports are negotiating for the use of Koury Natatorium, the facility used by varsity aquatic sports.

But Campus Recreation is introducing two new intramural sports. Baggo — a beanbag tossing game — and singles and doubles paddle tennis will be offered this fall. Ford said he hopes to have about 50 participants for each activity.

In addition to the program changes, students interested in signing up for an intramural sport no longer have to go to the Student Recreation Center.

Intramural sign-ups have gone completely online. Students can now register at www.campusrec.unc.edu.