New purpose for fee changes

Debt services fees used for renovations

DTH/Lennon Dodson
DTH/Lennon Dodson

Fees considered this week

Fee name: Athletic fee
Fee amount:  $265
Suggested increase: $6

Fee name:  Carolina Union operating fee
Fee amount:  $124
Suggested increase: $7.80

Fee name: Student Rec Center & Union debt fee
Fee amount: $64
Suggested increase: $16.75

Fee name: Student dining debt fee
Fee amount: $74
Suggested increase: $18.25

Fee name: Ram’s Head Rec Center debt fee
Fee amount: $42.50
Suggested decrease: $7.50

Fee changes being considered this week might let the University begin a series of expansions and renovations not tied to the fees’ original justifications.

The changes will affect debt service fees, a group of expenses designed to help pay for major construction projects.

Students currently pay $180.50 to help manage UNC’s debt.

But this year’s two proposed increases will let the University work on several projects — including a Student Union renovation and an expansion of dining space — not related to the fees’ original purposes.

A third fee, which helps pay down the debt on the Rams Head Recreation Center, might be decreased $7.50 from $42.50 due to an overestimation of the building’s cost.

While these fee changes were supported Monday by the student fee audit committee, a student government group that weighs in on proposals, the fees face several reviews before they reach the N.C. General Assembly for final approval.

Facilities debt fee

The Student Recreation Center and Student Union debt fee was created to help pay down the debt on the construction of the two facilities.

If the administrators approve a sizable $16.75 increase this year, the fee for 2010-11 would be $80.75.

Christopher Payne, associate vice chancellor for student affairs, said the fee needs to be increased to bring the Union up to the N.C. Building Codes.

He said some necessary renovations include overhauls to the stairwells and fire safety and sprinkler systems.

“We have the responsibility to be good stewards of our facilities,” Payne said.

Once the building is up to code, construction can begin on a restaurant in the bottom of the Student Union, Payne said. The kind of restaurant has not been decided.

Student dining debt fee

The student dining debt fee was created to help pay for two dining hall projects: a renovation of Lenoir Dining Hall in 1998 and the construction of Rams Head Dining Hall in 2005.

The dining fee faces a proposed increase of $18.25 — which will bring it to $92.25.

Scott Myers, director of food and vending, said overcrowding in Lenoir has made him realize that changes need to be made to accommodate more people. He said there are 650 seats in the Top of Lenoir, but during the peak half-hour, there are 703 people upstairs.

To counter this, Mike Freeman, director of auxiliary services, said the fee needs to be increased to pay for an extension of the upstairs seating area.