New trustees draw on skills

Diverse experiences will shape board

The Board of Trustees begins its September meetings today in the Carolina Inn. Five new members, who have been appointed by either the UNC Board of Governors or Gov. Bev Perdue, will be attending their second set of meetings.

Today’s schedule includes a sessions of the University advancement committee, which traditionally only convenes once a year to discuss University relations and fundraising strategies. Other meetings are scheduled to include updates on the University budget, Carolina North and an annual report on undergraduate admissions, scholarships and student aid.

The change in five Board positions in July was one of the largest turnovers in the board’s history. The new members are:

Don Curtis

Appointed by: Board of Governors

Committee: Building and Grounds

Graduated from UNC in 1963 with a degree in journalism.

Previous and current work at UNC: First vice chairman, General Alumni Association; Member, UNC Health Care System Board of Directors and; Member, School of Journalism and Mass Communication Board of Directors

Goals: Calling himself “an across the board type of guy,” Curtis said he hopes to encourage well-rounded students, prepare North Carolina’s future leaders and focus on the quality of education at UNC rather than enrollment growth.

Fun Fact:
Curtis has attended 291 consecutive Carolina home football games.

Wade Hargrove Jr.

Appointed by: Board of Governors

Committee:
Building and Grounds

Graduated from UNC in 1962. Graduated from the UNC School of Law in 1965.

Previous work at UNC: President, UNC Law School Alumni Association; Member, Board of Visitors; Member, advisory committee of UNC’s Center for Media Law and Policy and; Member, General Alumni Association Board of Directors.

Goals: “I want to do what I can to help preserve and advance the experience for generations to come that I was fortunate to have as a student at the University,” Hargrove said. “As a member of the buildings and grounds committee, we have a primary responsibility for assisting in the development of the North Campus.”

Fun Fact:
Hargrove was student news director of WCFM and a student anchor for UNC-TV.

Eddie Smith

Appointed by: Gov. Bev Perdue

Committee: University Affairs

Graduated from UNC in 1965 with a bachelor’s degree in industrial relations.

Previous work at UNC: President, UNC Educational Foundation Inc.; Member, Board of Visitors and; Helped create the Eddie Smith Field House in honor of his father.

Goals:
  “The big goal we all face is budget cuts from the state,” Smith said. Running the University more efficiently and continuing to provide high-quality education in the face of budget cuts will be top priorities, he said.

Fun Fact:
While he was a student at UNC, Smith got his pilot’s license from the Horace Williams Airport.

Felicia Washington

Appointed by: Board of Governors

Committee: Audit and Finance

Graduated from UNC in 1987 with an degree in economics.

Graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1990.

Previous work at UNC: No previous work at UNC, though she has been active in several statewide organizations.

Goals: Washington could not be reached for comment.

Fun Fact: Washington was named in “Best Lawyers in America” in 2007

John Townsend III

Appointed by: Gov. Bev Perdue

Committee: Audit and Finance

Graduated from UNC in 1977 with a degree in history. Graduated with an M.B.A. in 1982.

Previous work at UNC: Member, National Advisory Board for Ackland Art Museum; Member, Executive Committee of the UNC Investment Fund; Member, Board of Visitors for Kenan-Flagler Business School and; Member, Carolina First Campaign Steering Committee

Goals:  Townsend could not be reached for comment.

Fun Fact: Townsend’s family established the Townsend Freshman Seminars and the Townsend Family Professorship.