Nonprofit careers offer ‘personal satisfaction’

With fewer jobs in the corporate sector, some students might turn to the nonprofit industry to start their career path.

Jacquelyn Gist is the University Career Services counselor for social work and nonprofit careers.

She said she prefers to work for nonprofit organizations because of their ability to develop multiple skills.

“If you have a skill, talent or interest, no matter what your position, you are going to use it,” Gist said.

UNC often encourages students to volunteer during college and to continue volunteering after graduation, said Alice Denson, executive director for the Orange County Literacy Council.

The council tutors adults in reading, writing and math, and it helps newcomers develop their English-speaking skills.

“We find that a lot of work we can do through volunteers,” Denson said. “I think you will find that in a lot of community-based nonprofits.”

Shelley Day, executive director of the Ronald McDonald House in Chapel Hill, has worked in the nonprofit industry for more than 25 years and has never worked in the corporate market.

“I enjoy working for nonprofits, where every day you see what you’re working for,” Day said.

The Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill provides short-term housing for seriously ill children being seen at UNC Hospitals, and for their families.

Day said the families who stay at the house tell her how helpful the volunteers and staff are during their time of need. She said it establishes a personal connection between the house residents and staff.

Day said another benefit of nonprofits is the small staff, which allows for lower costs. The Ronald McDonald House has five full-time employees and 75 house volunteers, including groups that cook and clean for the families.

“We have to raise over $600,000 a year, and our volunteers allow us to run on a small budget,” Day said.

But Denson said she believes there isn’t a significant difference between nonprofit organizations and corporate jobs.

“You still have to look out for what to do to keep a stable organization,” Denson said.

Day described her reason for working in nonprofits in two words: personal satisfaction.

“If you can be passionate about your work, then volunteer,” she said.

Gist said working for University Career Services has given her the opportunity to help students do things that they find satisfying and that help improve their community.

For more information about the Ronald McDonald House, visit www.chapelhillrmh.net. For the Orange County Literacy Council, visit www.orangeliteracy.org.