Peers advise in arts, sciences

New program to be informal

Student government recently kicked off a new peer advising program, which lets students receive academic help from a group of fellow students.

Starting this semester, students in some departments in the College of Arts and Sciences can sit down in a more informal setting with those advisers to get input on academic questions.

“It’s a really cool idea to have people you can talk to who are your own age, who have gone through what you have gone through,” said junior Chris Carter, co-chairman of the academic affairs committee of student government, which oversees the program.

“It’s someone who has been in your shoes, in your situation. It’s nice to have that there.”

Peer advisers are ready to start advising now, he said. They are working with faculty members to develop skills and trying to promote the program.

While advisers will not answer technical questions about subjects such as graduation requirements, they can help with questions regarding majors, graduate programs, research interests and non-academic activities. Advisers will focus on assisting students in their own majors or departments.

“Students can help each other understand the ins and outs of their departments, and how to get the most out of their experience,” said David Bevevino, student body vice president, who helped create the program last year.

Thirteen students from eight departments of the College of Arts and Sciences are advising this semester. Student government members are working to put the peer advisers’ contact information on department Web sites.

This year is a trial run, Carter said. Student government members said they hope to expand the program and get greater participation from other departments.

The team of peer advisers was assembled in the spring after an application process and training.

“We wanted to see people who had really dived into their departments,” Bevevino said.

Junior communication studies major Cameron Wardell said he is excited to advise students because he is interested in working in higher education. He said he hopes being a mentor for students will prepare him. “I hope that I can help students become very excited and motivated about what they’re studying,” he said.

He said the advising program will be a good way for students to receive guidance outside a formal advising setting.

Student government proposed the idea for a peer advising program in 2007, and worked last year to get it off the ground.

Student government is creating a similar program for the study abroad office. These advisers will prepare students for their study abroad programs based on their own experience.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what the program can offer,” Bevevino said.