Students describe work in rural areas

Will Lambe, director of the Community Campus Partnership, delivered a speech Thursday. DTH/Samantha Ryan

UNC graduate students established personal connections with local governments this summer while helping them cut costs and improve efficiency.

Students and faculty­ involved with the Community Campus Partnership program, designed to help rural counties, described their work and outlined future plans during a presentation in Wilson Library on Thursday.

“CCP is intended to establish effective and valued partnerships between the University and the community,” said Lynn Blanchard, director of the Carolina Center for Public Service.

The success of the program has encouraged expansion to other counties in the state.

About 40 people associated with the program discussed their accomplishments working with government officials in Lenoir and Caswell counties.

Will Lambe, director of the project, said the organization has raised an estimated $1 million, mostly through grants. The focus now is deciding how best to apply resources to make a lasting impact in N.C. communities.

During summer 2009, students interned full time, aiding community directors with various local projects — the first step in a two-year pilot phase of the program.

“We have an opportunity to be successful here in doing something collaborative,” said Jesse White, associate director of the Office of Economic and Business Development.

Students who completed internships in the two counties agreed that their role led to a better relationship between the University and communities.

“We feel like we have a really great base of support there,” said Kate Pearce, a second-year masters student in city and regional planning.

Pearce said she felt like she was truly integrated in the Yanceyville community in Caswell County. She said the personal connections she made will form a basis for the program’s future.

Adam Parker, a second-year masters student in public administration, worked in Lenoir County.

“I really describe my role in two ways — utility player and matchmaker,” Parker said.

Parker worked on projects such as improvements in street lamp efficiency and helping with the science and technology-related education. A major part of his job was bringing the right people together to accomplish initiatives, he said.

Ten graduate students are still directly involved in the program, and a number of faculty and staff members also play major roles. Undergraduate students might be getting involved with the program as well, Lambe said.

“The future is to demonstrate what a concerted effort can accomplish,” he said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.